Monday, December 31, 2007

The Regular Season Ends

The regular season in the NFL is over.

The last week started amazingly. The Patriots. of course, were on the road to being undefeated and their only obstacle was the Giants whose play has been incredibly inconsistent. What a game! This was a game coached by two coaches who understand the NFL and maintained the integrity of the game to the final seconds The Patriots went undefeated and NO ONE can say that the Giants laid down like dogs and let them have it. The Giants fought hard and the Patriots were the better team. In the end, in a loss, the Giants earned the respect of their own fans who just loved the effort, and the Patriots demonstrated that they are, up to this point, the best team in football.

I have a bunch of observations about this weekend.

I thought, yesterday morning, that the Patriots were lined to get knocked off in the playoffs and that the AFC championship game was going to be played in Indianapolis. I changed my mind when the Colts laid down like dogs against the Titans. The Colts owe the fans who went to the game a refund and ought to pay back all the TV money they received for this game. They laid down like dogs. This will serve them very, very poorly. They played poorly and the rust and timing will be thick and deep when they play in two weeks.

I found this to be a putrid display by the team. The Colts are my second favorite team and as proud as I am of the Giants and their effort, I'm disgusted by the Colts and their lack of effort. They owed the NFL and their fans all 16 games. The Browns were entitled, at least, to an effort----as were the Titans.

The Cowboys laid down like dogs as well against the Redskins. It was less an issue in the NFC as the Vikings lost. But the Vikings deserved a full effort as did the fans. The Redskins fans, however, were happy so the Cowboys aren't as guilty as the Colts.

Now, to random thoughts:

The Jets were the 'hot team' in New York this year. Everyone predicted that the Giants would win 4-6 games and the Jets would be in the playoffs. Giants end the season 10-6; Jets ended 4-12. Thus the world saw what Jets fans already knew. The word 'Jets' means Just End The Season."

Sort of like the Bills in the early '90's, "Boy I Love Losing Superbowls."

If you think that Bill Parcells is going to stick with a loser like Cam Cameron, can I interest you in a bridge for sale in Brooklyn...

The NFC east has four teams in the playoffs and the Eagles, the only team not to make it, were 8-8 and one of the hottest teams at the end of the season.

That guy, number 10 on the Giants? Where has he been all season?

Jim Sorgi. Wow. He's the Dan Quayle of backup quarterbacks. I suspect that Peyton in traction could do better....

Kerry Collins came off the bench and played well against the Colts' cheerleaders in the 4th quarter. Collins is a solid veteran who can be brilliant. Or awful. Against the cheerleaders on a team that laid down like dogs, however, he was brilliant.

Did I mention the fact that I'm annoyed that the Colts laid down like dogs?

2 comments:

Shadow5 said...

I didn't watch the whole game, but "lay down" is unfair. Why should the Colts have risked anything?

The Giants provided a "giant" performance. Yes, NE is the superior team (on "bomb" to hillbilly Randy Moss shouldn't, but was, definitive), but Eli and his pals showed, once again, that Tommy and the Pats are vulnerable.

Peyton, to achieve another Super Bowl, will have to play their best for two games.

I think they'll do so. An undefeated regular season is worthy of remark, but a Super Bowl victory is the only thing that will make the UD season consequential. The Steelers or the Jags or the Colts can make it a moot point.

Brady, Moss, Welker are not invincible.

John Manzo said...

I agree. Part of my thinks that the AFC Championship games will be in Indy this year.

I do believe that 'laying down' as I put it, is fair and a poor decision. I think that at this point in the season even the best teams need to remain razor sharp or it will hurt them in the post season. I think that the bigger risk, even to injury, is when teams let up.

Besides....I was pulling for the Browns. LOL