Saturday, February 12, 2011

What Would I Cut?

What would I cut?

If they named me King and told me to cut the Federal Budget, here is what I would cut:

• I would cut, by half, Congressional and Senate salaries. In an effort to reduce the terms of these people without having a Constitutional Amendment for term limits, I’d cut their salaries in half to make this more and more about service rather than benefit.

• I would eliminate Congressional pensions. Same reasons as above.

• Cut Congressional staffs by half.

• Cut the White House staff by half.

• Cut the Supreme Court staff by half.

• I would limit Congressional Postage for free except in responses to constituents’ mail.

• Half of all money donated to political campaigns would be allocated to repair and replace infrastructure within the United States which would allow necessary repairs to take place without raising taxes or increasing the debt.

• I would remove all armed forces from Iraq and Afghanistan and using Intelligence agencies and the military, I’d fight terrorism more in specific instances rather than invading nations. We have to stop pretending these wars have not contributed significantly to our current budget crisis.

• I would raise the retirement age to 70. The only way to address the money issues facing Social Security and Medicare is to actually face the issues. The age of 65 was chosen when the vast majority of people did not live to age 65. People can retire earlier if they have pensions, etc., but they cannot collect Federal benefits until age 70 except for in cases of disability.

WWJC? I’m not sure, but I don’t think he’d object to these.

6 comments:

elexerdelex said...

I'm not american, But I see your point. :) My government could do with less spending aswell!
Followed by the way

elexerdelex said...

wait... how do I follow? I do not see a follow button on your page :(

Chuck Yale said...

I would double all of the above in the hopes that paying better would get more good people to run.

I would double the staff since it makes no sense to have people that are voting on 3.5 trillion dollars not have a few million so they can find the facts independent of lobbyists which spend ten time the staff budget.

Joanne said...

You are right on the money!!!!YAY. Blessings,Joanne

mudlotus said...

In 2012 it is estimated that the United States will spend $1.415 Trillion on Defense-Related Expenditures. If I had my way, I would pull out of all foreign countries, reduce this budget by half and do the following with it.

I would use 10% for humanitarian aid around the world with no strings attached other than we expect peace with and respect for our country. And no more funding bad guys.

I would use 10% for domestic education. Pre-school up through Secondary Education.

I would use 10% to fix our infrastructure.

I would use 10% to find ways to help us avoid pollution and give us “green” energy.

I would use 9% to develop industries and goods we can live with.

I would use 1% for support of Arts and Culture.

I would use the other 50% to begin paying off the national debt, and continue doing so until it is paid off and a surplus or “rainy day” fund was accumulated.

The money left over in the military budget would be used to prepare a military which is well-run, equipped, and ready in case we do ever need them. Expect peace but always be prepared.

web30blogs said...

hey can find the facts independent of lobbyists which spend ten time the staff budget.

worldamazingfacts