What would I cut?
If they named me King and told me to cut the Federal Budget, here is what I would cut:
• I would cut, by half, Congressional and Senate salaries. In an effort to reduce the terms of these people without having a Constitutional Amendment for term limits, I’d cut their salaries in half to make this more and more about service rather than benefit.
• I would eliminate Congressional pensions. Same reasons as above.
• Cut Congressional staffs by half.
• Cut the White House staff by half.
• Cut the Supreme Court staff by half.
• I would limit Congressional Postage for free except in responses to constituents’ mail.
• Half of all money donated to political campaigns would be allocated to repair and replace infrastructure within the United States which would allow necessary repairs to take place without raising taxes or increasing the debt.
• I would remove all armed forces from Iraq and Afghanistan and using Intelligence agencies and the military, I’d fight terrorism more in specific instances rather than invading nations. We have to stop pretending these wars have not contributed significantly to our current budget crisis.
• I would raise the retirement age to 70. The only way to address the money issues facing Social Security and Medicare is to actually face the issues. The age of 65 was chosen when the vast majority of people did not live to age 65. People can retire earlier if they have pensions, etc., but they cannot collect Federal benefits until age 70 except for in cases of disability.
WWJC? I’m not sure, but I don’t think he’d object to these.