Sunday, May 01, 2011

Observations About the Royal Wedding

I admit it, I watched the Royal Wedding. I wasn’t hardcore enough to get up early, but I watched the recording of the event. And, I doubly admit that I really am glad that I did. I came away with several observations.

The comparisons between Kate and Diana are almost endless. The thing is, there are actually very few comparisons. When Diana got married she was a 19 year old girl in what was essentially an arranged marriage to a relative stranger. William married a 29 year old woman who is the love of his life and best friend. From a ‘health’ perspective, there is no comparison. Additionally, let’s let Kate be Kate and not Diana.

I liked the very attractive and very modest wedding gown.

The Archbishop of Canterbury has about the best speaking voice I have ever heard and the wildest eyebrows I have ever seen.

Fergie’s daughters have very strange taste in hats.

The Worship Service was amazing. I think many people were amazed at the beauty of a well done Liturgy. Considering that so many people attend Worship Services that are more like infomercials for Jesus than they are real Liturgies, it was not a surprise. The beauty of an ages old Liturgy is still amazing.

I love, love, love, the English hymn Jerusalem.

It is very obvious that the English people still love their royalty. It’s also obvious that Americans love the English royalty as well. We might not want them as ‘our’ royals, but we seem to like them just fine.

The Mother of the Bride is always such a pivotal character in weddings. However, when the Grandmother of the Groom is the Queen of England, the rules change a little bit.

The siblings of the couple did really well and it is obvious that there is great sibling love on both sides of the family.

I think Prince Charles gets a bum rap on how well he helped raise his sons. I think he did a very fine job along with their mother; and carried it on after her death.

The tragedy of Diana’s life and death still looms. I think the longness of William and Kate’s dating and seemingly slow decision making came, in part, as a result of William not wanting tragedy to befall two women he loved and loves so much.

I found the experience to be incredibly moving and am very happy I watched this moment in history.

No comments: