Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday’s Musings



I watched part of the White House correspondents’ dinner the other night.  Mildly amusing.

I thought Jimmy Kimmel observing that a high school teacher told him he’d make nothing of himself, and then giving the President high five was the best part of the night.

President Obama was mildly amusing but nothing to write home about.  Too many bizarre dog jokes, in my opinion.

Jimmy Kimmel was mostly funny making fun of people from both parties.  I thought it was, however, pretty low making fun of Barbara Walters about her speech patterns.  I do not find that entertaining.  And his observation about fans of Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh was not really a joke.  It was just sadly accurate.

Interesting to note that opponents of President Obama are critical of his ad celebrating ‘getting’ Bin Laden and that he’s politicizing it.  I suspect his opponents are helping in this process by pointing this out.  Obama was the President when Bin Laden was killed under Obama’s orders.  It’s his shout out----but I had ‘celebrating’ the killing of anyone.

Having a serial killer in New Albany does not make me feel very good.  How gruesome has this story been?  It’s chilling.

Roman Catholic Bishops going after Roman Catholic nuns.  This is called institutional religion versus Christianity.  Choose your side, I guess.  Which is more important?  An institutional church or Christianity?   They do not always overlap. It happens in every denomination when we make the ‘church’ more important than Jesus.  It is easy to do and we’ve all been guilty of it.  But wow, on this one.

I’m always fascinated by ‘grades’ given to NFL teams in the draft.  It seems, to me, not unlike giving final exams before a class starts, grading the draft.  One thing every player has in common with every other player drafted is that not one of them has every played professional football as of yet.  No one knows how any of them will actually do until they have a chance to actually do it.  Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth round.  Tony Romo was an undrafted free agent as was Victor Cruz.

I have been praying that Psalms every day, twice a day.  There is a lot of asking God for forgiveness and a great deal of celebration of God’s being so forgiving.  I am reminded on how much we all need to be forgiven and how amazing generous and loving our God is. 

No comments: