Wednesday, May 23, 2012

10 Tech Things I’ve Learned

I’ve learned some tech things over the years.  Some of them are even valuable.

1.If you put a lot of apps on your Droid phone it sucks up memory and makes the phone more difficult to use.  I found myself deleting a lot of fancier apps and going with the native ones.  The phone works better.  Who’d have thunk it?

2.Blogspot changed its look a bit and I was having difficulty finding how to put a new post on there.  Then I discovered Windows Live Writer on my computers and found it works really well.  Who knew?

3.Microsoft Word isn’t as bad as I thought it would be.  Maybe I’m mellowing or maybe Word Perfect had too many bugs of late, but I’m not unhappy with Word.  Actually, me saying this might be a prediction of end times.

4.Windows XP was good.  Windows Vista was a disaster.  I don’t know if I’m excited about Windows 8.  To be honest, I’m tired of upgrading.

5.I just got Nuance PDF Editor 8.0 and it is the first one that switches into a word processing mode allowing you to edit PDF documents a lot easier.  Adobe Acrobat isn’t as easy to use and, wow, it is expensive.  Nuance PDF Editor is $99 and a bargain.

6.  All the fuss about the Facebook IPO.  Facebook has grown a lot and there was a lot of hype.  My sense is that it might be a good stock to buy and keep for a few years.  Everyone is upset because they aren’t overnight millionaires.  Well, Mark made out okay….

7. A program Swift-To-Do-List is, I think a shareware kind of program and it works really well.  The cost is reasonable.

8.I have found a lot of good programs come via shareware.  They work well, don’t have a lot of junk on them, and are inexpensive.  I actually do not object to purchasing these as the creators of these programs deserve to make a living.

9.I am convinced the federal government will, at some point, crack down and put limits on the Internet.  The Republicans are currently leading this charge, but I’m not sure the Democrats are going to prove to be any better.  A lot of money is coming into Congress from ‘regulators.’ 

10.  I still think Firefox is the best browser.

No comments: