Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Next Generation

A few years ago I went to a lecture about generation cycles.  One of the premises was that the World War II generation really was the Greatest Generation.  I’d be hard pressed to say they weren’t.

Generations seem to go in cycles with different types of generations.  We now have a generation of young adults and young people and this person said that this group will be the next great  generation.  I am inclined to agree.

 

I am a Baby Boomer born pretty much right in the middle of the Baby Boom.  There are things I can say pro and con about my generation and other generations as well.  I am inclined to think there is good in every one of them but there is something special about this coming generation.

Every year I sit and listen to Faith Statements in church from these folks.  They are far, far ahead of where I was when I was in the 8th Grade.  They have levels of faith, and even more so, compassion than I did, perhaps still have.  They are much wiser than I was in the 8th grade and, I suspect, will be better adults.

They are loving in ways I never was and my generation wasn’t.  I do not say this flippantly or implying they are sexual.  Most of them are incredible modest,  fine people whose love encompasses other people.  My generation was grappling with racial issues this generation has never dealt with.  They see everyone as equal and there is no question about that.  In terms of acceptance of others, they embrace and accept others with a far greater ease than I did.  Much of who I am now was learned far later in life than them.

They also have a lower tolerance for nonsense and meaninglessness.  I am, of course, a big believer in organized religion and see much that is good within it.  At its best, of course, it serves God and not the institution.  For many, this is a struggle.  This generation not so much.  They do not get sucked into feeding institutions.  They simply don’t.  They remind us we are going to have to work harder.

A third thing is they value relationships greatly.  They see themselves humbly, as part of something bigger, and connection is important.

The lecturer, I believe was right.  Admire these young ones in our midst.  They may, in fact, be the next greatest generation.

No comments: